Sunday, March 26News For London

‘Cat-and-mouse game’ between the police and anti-lockdown protesters

Anti-lockdown demonstrators “give the police quite a run around” while 155 of them were arrested.

Outside King’s Cross station on 28 November, the Metropolitan police wait for their quarry — anti-lockdown demonstrators.

The police are located all over the square. Photo by Mengqi Zhang

Piers Corbyn, the core of the anti-lockdown group had called for “a large peaceful educational march in London” 20 days ago.

In anticipation, the Met police had warned protesters to “stay at home” and that “any large gatherings in central London will be prohibited by law.”

The protest was supposed to start at 12:00pm, however, a massive police deployment replaced the expected large-scale protest demonstrations. 

Met officers were attempting to disperse protesters amidst a man holding up a placard printed with “Your fear leads to losing our liberty”.

A demonstrator held placard called for liberty. Photo by Mengqi Zhang

One of the demonstrators became agitated.  After an altercation with the police, he was escorted to a police van chanting “Freedom!”

A man was chanting “Freedom” when arrested. Photo by Mengqi Zhang

After several arrests, Corbyn called for protesters to gather at Marble Arch and keep in touch with social media for updating any schedule changes.

Swarming into the crowd, police chased protesters at Hyde Park where Corbyn was giving a speech. “Covid-19 is a lie, vaccine alters the body’s natural genetic behaviour,” he declared.

The march has begun.

Police warned Corbyn and evicted him to Marble Arch station, escorting him for three stops to ensure he left the protest site.

In the Tube, Corbyn’s followers accompanied him and constantly told the police: “He is not bad, he is trying to save you, he is trying to save your life, he is trying to save your freedom, he is trying to save you from the poisonous vaccines and you have to believe that.”

“Alright, now go,” the police replied indifferently.

Protestor pursues police to believe Piers Corbyn. Photo by Mengqi Zhang

Underground, Corbyn played hide-and-seek with the force as he waited for updates on the protest march.

Meanwhile above the ground, police tried to handcuff a protester as the procession flooded the streets and paralysed traffic in Regent Street temporarily.

Another demonstrator hurled green smoke bombs as he was surrounded by the police.

By the time Corbyn arrived at Piccadilly Circus, he was told by his remaining followers there that the police had already dispersed the crowds. Or rather, the demonstrators had been scattered to various locations for small-scale protests.

All that was left of the station was the ruins and police keeping order after the war. The first wave continued around 3 hours.

At 5pm, Corbyn appeared at Piccadilly Circus again and encouraged those march participants: “Okay well done today. Brings tens and thousands demonstrates and police following us everywhere.”

Shortly after, the Met police chased him into the tube station before bringing him up to arrest him.

When Corbyn was in custody, he called his colleague to tweet a post to celebrate that they “gave the police quite a run around.”

Piers Corbyn was chased to tube station by police. Photo by Mengqi Zhang.

According to the Metropolitan Police, 155 anti-lockdown protesters were arrested after conflicting with the force as they break up the demonstrations.