Edward Lauder and Nader Kaddour caught up with Shira MacLeod at their London offices to chat about their aspirations for the newly renamed and renovated Regent Street Cinema.
The Lumière brothers made history in 1896 by showing moving pictures to a paying audience in Britain for the first time.
Then known as Marlborough Hall, the venue used would continue to show films for 84 years-under various names-until its transformation into a lecture theatre at the Polytechnic of Central London (now the University of Westminster) in 1980.
Now, nearly 120 years after the Lumière brothers’ first viewing, the symbolic cinema is making a comeback under the guidance of Shira MacLeod to delight crowds once again in the busy heart of London.
Name changes to the Polytechnic Theatre and Cinema*
1848 Royal Polytechnic Institution Theatre
1882 Great Hall (of the Polytechnic Young Men’s Christian Institute)
1894 Marlborough Hall; also sometimes known as the Great Hall
1900 Polytechnic Theatre
1916 Large Hall is used within the Polytechnic, Polytechnic Hall is used commercially
1920 Polytechnic Cinema
1923 Polytechnic Hall
1924 Polytechnic Cinema Theatre
1924–36 Variously called Polytechnic Cinema, Polytechnic Theatre and
Polytechnic Cinema Theatre
1940s Cameo News Theatre
1949 The Polytechnic (ex. Cameo); from December 1949 known as
the Cameo-Polytechnic Cinema
1972 Classic Poly
1974 Regent Theatre
1980 Classic Poly Cinema
1980–2014 Lecture Theatre 1/2, informally
2015 Regent Street Cinema
*University of Westminster Archives
With thanks to the University of Westminster Archives and the University of Westminster Development Office.